snusology

My attempt at DIY American Moist Snuff

· 5 · 6718

Offline bandrami

My attempt at DIY American Moist Snuff
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »
So there are a lot of resources out there about making your own snus, but I was interested in trying to make some American-style dip.

I started with pipe tobacco, because that's what I have lying around. Specifically, I used about 2 cups of Cornell & Diehl "Bridge Mixture" and 4 cups of "Seminar", a blend by a tobacconist I go to in Maryland. I put these in a coffee grinder (don't tell the wife...) and ground until I got a consistency a little coarser than flour; more like cornmeal. I put it in an oven-safe bowl and put in a teaspoon or so of salt and another teaspoon of calcium lactate (baking powder should work roughly the same; I just have calcium lactate lying around from my "molecular mixology" kit).

Meanwhile, I boiled a small amount of water, a bit less than a pint, and added a tablespoon of sugar and some wintergreen extract. The sugar is important for the texture; the extract is just because I like wintergreen dip. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, pour it over the tobacco and mix it very thoroughly. It should be only a little bit moist -- not as moist as a fresh can of dip (you sweat it later).

Once the water is thoroughly mixed in, I put the bowl in the oven at as low a temperature as possible (175 in my case) and left it there all day (I'm nervous about leaving the oven on overnight or I would have done that too). After that, take it out, cover it with something (I used a plate) and put it in the fridge. Once it's cool enough to handle safely, pour and mix in another teaspoon or so of salt. Re-cover, put it back in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, I pack it in old dip cans I have lying around (this is enough for maybe three cans). Now here's the thing: this will not be nearly as good when you first put it in the can as it will after about a week. Give this time and it gets more and more like "real" dip. Anyways, just thought I would report a more or less success story.

Offline Jlang37

Re: My attempt at DIY American Moist Snuff
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
That's pretty cool actually.

Offline Burnsey

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »
That sounds almost easy, keep us posted on the taste.....it may still be changing.

Offline bandrami

UPDATE: the key is molasses, baking soda, and time
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
So I think I've gotten it pretty much down. What was missing with the texture was molasses and sodium carbonate (baking soda).

So, grind the tobacco (more coarse than you would for snus or snuff).

Mix in a lot (like, a quarter of your tobacco's volume) of salt and baking soda -- that's what gives you the burn on the lip.

Boil some water (about 1/8th of your tobacco by volume) and mix in some salt and soda and then enough molasses to make it somewhat syrupy. Mix this into the tobacco, along with whatever flavor oils you want, bake at low temperature for a few hours, and then put it in the fridge for at least a week. At that point you have something that feels, packs, and dips a lot like commercial American moist snuff.

Offline Grizzlyman19

• Grizzlyman19 is here!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
Cool
Flying waffles!!