snusology

Newbie to snuff from Seattle, WA.

· 7 · 3699

Offline TobaccyLassy

Newbie to snuff from Seattle, WA.
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
Hi everybody. I'm a lady from Seattle (and yes,  a stereotypical Seattle gal that loves coffee and rain,  lol)  that is new to snuff. I smoke pipe tobacco, Dokha and occasional cigarettes,  but would prefer to have smokeless alternatives for when i have to enter homes or offices and dont want to be impolite by smelling like a an ashtray or tobacco in general.  I tried a pinch of Toque snuff some days ago, liked it alot, and would like to add snuff to my daily rotation. I ordered a starter set from Mr. Snuff.

I look forward to learning and hanging out on this forum.  ^-^

~ Restita D.

Sent via Tapatalk from my Android phone

-Restita

Offline The Stig

Re: Newbie to snuff from Seattle, WA.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Hi Restita! Welcome to the forum!

I guess the first question would be what flavors of pipe tobacco do you prefer? Nasal snuff actually goes by flavors but, more like scents. Toque makes a fine selection of English Style snuffs which can be a bit hard to get used to simply because they are very finely ground. Toque is one of my favorites in this style, followed by Freybourg & Treyer and Wilson's. Another to try, if you can find them are Poschl's German Type snuffs. These tend to be a bit coarser ground, a bit less dry and almost all of them have some menthol in them. German snuffs are the easiest to get into the front of the nose because they are not as finely ground. Plus, their Cherry is really good. Gletscher Prise, another Poschl's snuff, is an awesome mentholated snuff and really popular.

Like I said, let us know what tobacco flavors you're into and we'll try to help you out more!

Hope this helps,

The Stig
Some say.....he's the bastard child of two Swedish tobacco farmers....and that Swedish Match has "Wanted" posters of him plastered all over their factories.....all we know is he's called The Snus Stig!

Offline TobaccyLassy

Re: Re: Newbie to snuff from Seattle, WA.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »
Hi Restita! Welcome to the forum!

I guess the first question would be what flavors of pipe tobacco do you prefer? Nasal snuff actually goes by flavors but, more like scents. Toque makes a fine selection of English Style snuffs which can be a bit hard to get used to simply because they are very finely ground. Toque is one of my favorites in this style, followed by Freybourg & Treyer and Wilson's. Another to try, if you can find them are Poschl's German Type snuffs. These tend to be a bit coarser ground, a bit less dry and almost all of them have some menthol in them. German snuffs are the easiest to get into the front of the nose because they are not as finely ground. Plus, their Cherry is really good. Gletscher Prise, another Poschl's snuff, is an awesome mentholated snuff and really popular.

Like I said, let us know what tobacco flavors you're into and we'll try to help you out more!

Hope this helps,

The Stig

Hi Stig.  As far as pipe tobacco goes,  i like the room notes (as well as tastes)  of  burleys,  Virginia/Perique blends,   English blends like like Nightcap, Frog Morton, etc, and Aromatics.

I have a funny habit about putting a bit of vicks VapoRub on the inside of my nostrils,  especially during winter months (okay no giggling,  guys,  lol) .... I love the comforting menthol/camphor scent and it keeps my nostrils moist. So,  methinks some mentholated brands would be very enjoyable.  :)

~ Restita D.

-Restita

Offline The Stig

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
Definitely try to get your hands on Gletscher Prise for the winter! The scent is pretty darn close to Vicks Vaporub and the feel in the front of the nose is pretty close as well. Like I said, most of the Poschl flavors have a camphor, mentholated scent included with their main scent of mostly fruit. The ones I like are Gawith Apricot and Poschl's Raspberry.  ;D

For the room scents, looks like you're into the true scents of pipe tobacco, the way it was meant to be enjoyed, without the sticky, fruity scents. Nasal snuffs are completely different but are just as complex in their scents. American snuffs like Scotch snuffs, have a smoky base with a burnt caramel note in the background. Imagine a nice fire in the fireplace of a log cabin and someone just made a dark caramel over that same fire. Those scents are in Scotch snuffs. English snuffs tend to have very little in the way of smokiness, due to the type of tobaccos used, but are intense in their flavors. Freybourg and Treyer's Seville, for example, is pure Lavender.

The world of Nasal snuff is just as complex as the world of Swedish snus and sometimes it's a try as many as you can and see what you like. I can tell you this; American snuffs are some of the finest ground snuffs, almost like Talcum powder, and are extremely hard to use correctly. Just remember this, you lightly sniff snuff, like smelling a flower. Don't sniff hard and you should have a great experience with little to no sneezing.

Sorry, got a little long winded in this post but, other than Swedish snus, Nasal snuff is my other passion. :-)

I'll try to go thru some of my snuffs and come up with a few english snuffs you may like.

All the best,

The Stig
Some say.....he's the bastard child of two Swedish tobacco farmers....and that Swedish Match has "Wanted" posters of him plastered all over their factories.....all we know is he's called The Snus Stig!

Offline TobaccyLassy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »
Thanks Stig!  I'll definitely try some Gletscher Prise for the winter!  Thanks so much for helping me out with my xmas wish list.  ^-^

Being a lady,  most of my friends assume that i'd be a heavy aro smoker. Although I like them,  I prefer lighter aros that aren't goopy-cased or taste overly artificial and burn hot (Captain Black cherry.... BLECH!) . Nothing I hate more than tongue-bite in the first 5 minutes of a bowl.  Smooth latakia blends, burley blends, and VaPer or VaBur flakes have been my go-to smoke, with aros being more of a evening treat or dessert.

When my MisterSnuff order arrives,  i'll be posting reviews and newbie experiences on my WordPress blog,  "Dragon Lady's Tobacco World".

I have a feeling that snuff is going to be a passion as pipes are. ^-^

~ Restita D.

-Restita

Offline chadizzy1

• Snubie.com / snusology.com
    • Snubie.com - Snus news, reviews, and information.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
What's the link to your blog?  I'll have to add it to my BlogRoll.

Offline TobaccyLassy

Re: Re: Newbie to snuff from Seattle, WA.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »
What's the link to your blog?  I'll have to add it to my BlogRoll.

http://ladypipes.wordpress.com/  Thanks chadizzy1!

~ Restita D.

-Restita