Author Topic: Professor: "Nicotine is not dangerous, and not addictive"  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Heders

• snusology Staff
    • HedersTobacco
"Hard to say that nicotine is dangerous"

Professor: "No one has become addicted to nicotine only"

Nicotine is not harmful to the body.
    It is also not particularly addictive.
    That says Hans Gilljam, Senior Professor of Public Health at the Karolinska Institute and founder of Stop-smoking-line.
    - In 25 years we have talked and talked about nicotine's harmful effects, now we will have to eat it up, he says.

One thing is important to clarify right away. Professor Hans Gilljam say absolutely not that smoking is harmless, or that it is not addictive. However, pointing to recent research indicates that nicotine plays a very small role in the drama.
    "Hard to say it is dangerous"

- When you smoke, 8000 substances is inhaled. Many are directly toxic and carcinogenic. Smoking is deadly. But nicotine is not especially dangerous. It is difficult on a scientific basis to suggest that a chronic nicotine abuse is dangerous for an adult. It is possible for a fetus, but it is not safe. On the whole, new research has allowed us to have a second review, it's been too much focus on nicotine when talking about the effects of smoking, says Hans Gilljam.

There are also large uncertainties in the nicotine-dependent effect. His Gilljam says the topic is not nearly as addictive as previously thought.
    "Not very addictive"

- No, we can probably now admit that nicotine itself is not particularly addictive. It's undeniable that cigarettes in itself creates a strong dependence, but it's not about the nicotine. It is rather about the smoke, smell, social, to have something in his hand ... all those factors together, socially and psychologically. Unfortunately, we have for 25 years talked very convincingly about nicotine being addictive, now we will eat it up.

The reason that the scientific approach to nicotine reformulated is simple.

- Nicotine Drugs have been around for a long time but it has never ever happened that someone has become addicted to them. So that someone, for example, started to chew nicotine gum and become dependent on it, it never happened. It should reasonably have done if nicotine was highly addictive. Then, many people who quit smoking using nicotine replacement therapy and then continued to use them for many years, but it is not the same, says Hans Gilljam.

Google translated from this site: http://www.aftonbladet.se/slutaroka/article14118649.ab

Offline Tregs

• Post Newbie
Re: Professor: "Nicotine is not dangerous, and not addictive"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
interesting. I agree somewhat. I think it is addicting but not to the extent that most make it out to be. I heard a while back from another article that it is a combination of nicotine and some kind of inhibitor that is found in tobacco and that just pure nicotine is not much more addictive than minor stimulants. But I can't agree that is 100% not addicting. And I am sure its not 100% safe either, but I doubt its physically any worse than caffeine (increased blood pressure and heart rate with high use).

Offline queevil

• Posts Pending
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »
Hmmm.....this is interesting. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm addicted to nicotine. When I smoked I would feel the absence of nicotine in my body when I woke up every morninIg, so I smoked immediately. With smokeless tobacco, I don't begin to feel the absence of nicotine for an hour or two after I wake up.

I agree that nicotine by itself isn't as addictive as it is when combined with other harmful chemicals, particularly those found in cigarettes. I've used nicotine gum to stop smoking in the past and I never had any problem putting down the gum.

Offline The Stig

• Post Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
I know this is an old post but, I felt I had to give my 2 cents on this subject. As the article says, Nicotine is not as harmful to the body, in small amounts, as say, alcohol is. In relative terms, it's like caffeine in its effects on the body. To say Nicotine is not addictive, one would have to say that Caffeine is not either but I for one, can't begin my day without a strong dose of English Breakfast tea or a Diet Mountain Dew. My body knows when I'm trying to cut down on Caffeine and reacts accordingly.

Same with Nicotine, my body knows when it hasn't had is daily dose of vitamin N and also reacts accordingly. Although.......when I switched from smoking to Snusing, I have found that I'm less agitated when I forget to bring a can of snus with me as opposed to when I would forget my smokes. So, IMO, perhaps the simple act of smoking is what drives the addiction and not the Nicotine. Ok....now my head hurts, time to pop a non addicting Thunder RAW and down a Diet Mountain Dew...... ::)
Some say.....he's the bastard child of two Swedish tobacco farmers....and that Swedish Match has "Wanted" posters of him plastered all over their factories.....all we know is he's called The Snus Stig!